“My goal is the Africa Cup of Nations. Why are you lying to the people of Morocco? » Regardless of the extremes of modesty, Morocco coach Walid Regraghi did not have much faith in his team ahead of this World Cup in Qatar. After already drawing with Croatia (0-0), then winning against Belgium (2-0), the Atlas Lions proved him wrong on Thursday 1st.er December, beat Canada (2-1). Success is synonymous with qualifying for the 1/8 final stage of the World Championship.
In a very strong group, the underdogs Moroccans finished first, and for the first time since 1986, they exited the group stage of the World Cup. It is the second country to reach the round of 16 on the African continent after Senegal qualified on Tuesday. – The record with Algeria and Nigeria is the same as in 2014 – while waiting for Ghana and Cameroon, who will try to emulate the Moroccans on Thursday.
The Atlas Lions needed a draw against Canada to qualify for the next round. But to avoid any stress, Romain Saiss and his team-mates immediately took the lead. Starting from the fourth minute, Hakim Ziyech returned the ball to the empty net, using the recovery that was completely missed by the Canadian goalkeeper Milan Borja. The “Chelsea” midfielder unflinchingly placed the ball.
Canada finishes with three losses
Having already been eliminated before this Morocco-Canada match, the Canucks were certainly hoping for a more favorable start to the match in order to earn the first point in the group stage. The following minutes were not more favorable for John Herdman’s men. Completely disorganized and unable to get the ball out of their own half, they logically conceded the second goal, Youssef En-Nesyri (24).e).
But the Canadians did not disperse. They managed to reduce the score before the break when defender Nayef Aguerd (44) sent Sam Adekugbe’s cross into his own goal.e). A successful achievement, against the run of play, the Canucks had no shots in the first period!
Reinvigorated by this unexpected goal, they increased their attacks on goalkeeper Yassine Bounou’s goal in the second half. But from Atiba Hutchinson (71e), which hits the bar and then hits the goal line. Despite the good performance, the Maple Leafs finish with three defeats in as many games. For their part, the Moroccans will face the runners-up of Group H (Spain, Germany, Japan and Costa Rica) in the Round of 16 on Tuesday, December 6 at 16:00.
Our selection of articles on the 2022 World Cup
Find all our content on the 2022 World Cup in Qatar from November 20 to December 18.
- Know everything: Schedule, results, standings, “unofficial” guide to the 2022 World Cup
- Investigation: France-Qatar, a friendship full of resources
- To analyze: Reasons for concern
- Editorial: Extreme World Cup
- Decryption: Footballers’ subtle speech on human rights
- Story: A very political “World Cup”
- Report: In Qatar’s “engine room” where immigrant workers live that Doha does not want to see
- Podcast: Environment, human rights, corruption: why the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is a problem
- Investigation: World Cup award to Qatar: Sarkozy, Platini and PSG takeover at center of French justice probe
- Video: A “carbon neutral” World Cup? What is behind Qatar’s baseless promises?
- Tribune (Agnes Callamard, Amnesty International) : Gianni Infantino tries to absolve FIFA of any responsibility by calling for ‘focus on football’